1805 Gilbert Stuart (1755-1828) Portrait of Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson was President of the United Stated from March 4, 1801 – March 4, 1809. In anticpation of his March return to Monticello, he had an inventory made of the contents of the President's House, the White House, in Washington DC. This is that inventory:
Inventory of President’s House, 19 February 1809
Store Room in the Garret7. Pair of best brass andirons.
32. Brass. Carpet rods. 1. Pair Iron Dogs.
Store Room no. 2.
5. Brass lamps— 2 vase lamps. 1. Cabbin lamp
3. Glass sconces out of order
1. Mahogany Table & large clothes basket
12 pillars & 2 childrens Mattresses. 2. Bolsters
2. large fire tenders. 2. pair large Brass Andirons
1. large Brussels carpet
8. cotton blankets
2. Old arm Chairs
1. Mahogany Table & remnants of Brussels carpet.
North West Corner—Lady’s Dressing room.
a small bundle of Old Curtains
Large Room—North Side.
1. elegant bedstead with white dimity curtains, bed mattress, counterpane & bolster
1. Sofa 12. fashionable Chairs, crimson and Gold
2. Mahogany Tables. 1. wash stand. 1 looking Glass.
1 elegant Lady’s dressing Table 1. toilet with trimmings
Brussels Carpet on the floor— 1 Stool to ascend the Bed.
Presidents Dressing Room
3. Suits dimity window Curtains with cornices
1. Bidet and a mahogany Table. common Carpet on floor.
Passage adjoining the Presidents Bed Room
1. large Mahogany Wardrobe.
1. elegant Couch with mattress & furniture
1. Mahogany window Stool. a Brussels carpet on the floor
President’s Bed Room
Blanket & counterpane— Bed curtains with cornice
2. Suits of dimity window curtains with cornice
1. Bureau 1. dressing & one looking Glass.
1. Small Mahogany Table and wash Stand.
5. fashionable Chairs—crimson and Gold.
1. window Stool stuffed Seat & white dimity cover
2. Mahogany wash Stands
3. Prints—Washington— Adams. Jefferson.
a Machine to hang Clothes on.
1. Mahogany fire screen— Brussels carpet on the floor.
Large Chamber—South front.
14. Mahogany Chairs— crimson damask bottoms
2. Small Mahogany Sofa’s covered with hair cloth.
3. Small Mahogany Tables.— 1. looking Glass.
2. Suits dimity window Curtains with cornice
Lady’s Drawing Room.
5. Crimson Damask window curtains with cornice
2. Mahogany Sofa’s—crimson bottoms
4. Girandoles with elegant brass lamps.
1. elegant Glass Chandelier
2. large looking Glasses. 1. pair Mahogany Card Tables
7. pieces elegant Chimney ornaments.
a Brussels Carpet.
Large Bed Room—South front.
1. elegant Mahogany bedstead, bed, mattress & cotton counterpane, chints curtains & elegant cornice12. fashionable Chairs. Gold and Green.
1. Mahogany wardrobe.
an elegant Mahogany commode.
2. Small Mahogany Tables & wash stand
1. looking Glass and dressing Glass.
2. Suits dimity window curtains with cornice
Brussels Carpet & wire fender.
Small bed Room—South front.
1. Suit chints window curtains with cornice
5. fashionable Chairs—Gold & Green
2. Small Mahogany Tables & wash stand
1. Mahogany side board— 1 looking Glass.
1. Machine for hanging clothes on
1. large easy Chair with chints cover.
1. Night Table and an elegant Brussels carpet.
Dressing Room adjoining the above.
1. chints window curtain with cornice
Toilet Table and common carpet.
Bed Chamber—South east Corner.
white dimity curtains gilt cornice5. fashionable Chairs Green and Gold.
1. Small Mahogany Table and wash Stand
a toilet table & dressing Glass.3. Suits Chints window Curtains with cornice
one Night table & common Carpet.
Great passage on the second floor.2. Suits Circular window Curtains—yellow
35. Mahogany Chairs—1. Mahogany Table.
2. large passage Lamps.
common carpet covering the whole.
Carpet covering the whole.
Private Stairs & passage—
Common carpet and small Globe lamp
Bed Chamber—North front.—
Bedstead, bed, mattress, pair of sheets, cotton counterpane— chints curtain and cornice—6. fashionable chairs—black and Gold.
1. elegant Mahogany commode & small mahogany Table—
1. Chints window curtain with cornice
Dressing Room attached to the above
1. Mahogany wardrobe.
1. Lady’s elegant Mahogany table. wash Stand & Glass.
common carpet.1. large mahogany Table.
a Machine for hanging clothes on
a Childs small mahogany bedstead with curtains
Bed Chamber—North front.
1. elegant Mahogany bedstead, bed, bolster mattress and counterpane, white dimity curtains
Chints drapery and Gilt cornice6. fashionable Chairs—blue and Gold.
1. Mahogany Bureau & small table
1. Toilet Table, dressing Glass & wash stand— night Table
Looking Glass and Brussels carpet.
Dimity window curtains with cornice
Small mahogany Writing Tables.3. long Mahogany Tables covered with green cloth.
2. mahogany window stools covered with hair cloth
1. set of Mahogany Steps for library
1. Letter press. a Desk and Book case.
1. large folding screen & wash stand—
12. Chairs—black and Gold.
1. Sofa & two Mahogany arm chairs
shovel Tongs and Poker.
Presidents Sitting Room
2. Glass shades and a looking Glass.
2. Mantel ornaments. an elegant time piece
1. Globe Inkstand
3. Sofa’s covered with black hair cloth
an elegant Mahogany drink Table with a Marble Top1. Mahogany card Table & two Small Tables.
a Chinese pipe16. fashionable Chairs—black and Gold.
2. Suits elegant window Curtains with cornice
1. elegant Brussels carpet and fire rug—
Presidents Drawing room
4. Elegant Girandoles & Glass lustres
1. large chandelier and 2. Glass shades.
3. alabaster Chimney ornaments.
2. china and Silver Do.—.
a full length Picture of Genl. Washington—Gilt frame4. large Mahogany Sofa’s covered with hair Cloth
24. fashionable Chairs—blue and Gold.
2. large Mahogany Card Tables.
2. Square Mahogany Tables with leaves.
an elegant Brussels Carpet— Shovel. tongs— poker.
Small Dining Room—S. front.
4. Small do.
1. extra large Mahogany Dining Table in 6. pieces.
1. Small dining Table in three parts.
1. large Mahogany Square Table.
15. Chairs black and Gold.
1. elegant side board with pedestals & urn knife cases.
2. Glass Cases. to Contain the Silver & plated ware
3. fire Screens. 2. elegant Girandoles and
2. Looking Glasses.
1. Oval breakfast Table
2. Suits of chints window curtains and cornice
a canvass floor cloth, painted Green.2. large green cloth covers for the dining Tables.
3. large Japaned Waiters—
Silver Ware in the Small Dining Room
2. bread baskets
1. Small Globe Coffe Urn—Silver.
2. large Punch Urns & Ladles. Silver.
1. large Sugar Pot & Cream Pot. Silver
3. large Castors—Silver.
10. Salt Stands Silver.
8. large Ragout Spoons
5. gravy Spoons.
5. Soup ladles—1. small cart
18. french Table Spoons & forks.
32. french Tea Spoons.
82. Table Spoons.
38. dessert Spoons.
1. Tea pot, Cream pot. Sugar pot. Silver.
4. Doz: Common Tea Spoons.
2. fish trowels Silver— 2. Cream Spoons.
13. french Knives— 2. Doz: fruit Knives
8. Bottle Stands.
1. pair elegant Tea & Coffee Urns—Plated ware
1. large and 2. small common urns.
2. large waiters. 1. pair Chamber Candlesticks
2. Sallad dishes with glasses
8. small waiters— 8. coolers—4. oval—4. round
16. Goblets— 3. Can’s. 3. Dish warmers.
10. Barrel tumblers
8. candlesticks with branches.
1. candlestick with a double Lamp.
2. branches on the side board.
1. Castor. 2. Silver Terrines— 2. Silver Pudding Dishes
1. Counterpane & a pair of Sheets—
2. Suits of window Curtains—chints
1. Mahogany Bureau & wash Stand.
a common carpet. 3. common chairs 1. looking Glass
2. Suits chints window curtains
7. Arm Chairs—black and gold
1. Mahogany table covered with green cloth
1. Common Carpet, fire rug— shovel tongs & poker.
Large Unfinished Room—East end
1. Mahogany Side Table.— 1. Cooler.
1. Table & Kettles for washing Tumblers. &c
1. large Dumb waiter
1. pair large Brass Andirons.
The Great Hall of entrance
2. large Mahogany Tables with leaves
3. elegant Globe lamps—8. fire Buckets.
2. Suits window Curtains with Cornice
4. Girandoles with Brass lamps.
1. Eight day Clock
4. Common Settee’s
28. Mahogany Chairs with hair cloth bottoms
the whole floor covered with canvass painted Green
Large Dining Room—N.W. Corner.
2. Do. Common—
1. Large Dumb Waiter
2. Japaned plate warmers.
3. Mahogany Knife Cases. 1. Dining Table.
1. fire Screen— 2. Japaned Costers
2. plated Candlesticks with branches.
2. Do. .... without branches.
3. Alabaster Chimney Ornaments
2. elegant Girandoles.
5. Suits dimity window curtains with cornice
15. fashionable Chairs—black and Gold
an elegant Brussels carpet.3. fire Shovels and three pair of Tongs.
Small Room—North Side
2. pair of brass Lamps.
3. pair of high plated Candlesticks
3. Do. .... of Chamber Do. ..
1. pine Closet and 2. large common Tables.
1. fender—tongs and Poker.
1. Common waiter & 1. small looking Glass.
2. Coal Scuttles & a lanthern
painted floor cloth.
1. Suit Common Curtains with cornice
1. Desk and Book case.
1. Bedstead, Bed, Mattress bolster Pillar
Sheets, Blanket & counterpane with old Chints Curtains—1. Bureau & small round Table.
3. pair of brass candlesticks
5. Japaned Waiters. 7. Common Chairs.
3. Mahogany Chairs covered with hair cloth
1. Looking Glass & 2. common window curtains
10. pair of blankets packed up
7. pair of servants Blankets
13. Vase Lamps. 3. tongs & 3. Pokers.
1. Warming Pan— 1. foot Stove— 4. Ice moulds.
4. Coolers. 3. Shovels. 5. Copper bound buckets
1. Box to put french spoons in
1. Trunk of Calico furniture of various kinds—
Servants Room—S. side—
1. pine Desk & an old Chair.
3. Common chairs & a walnut night Table—
1. Mattress 1. Pillar. 1. Rug. 1. pair of brass andirons
1. fender— 2. old window curtains & an old Table—
2. pine Tables. & 5. common Chairs
3. Mahogany trays—2. plate Baskets.
2. Coal Scuttles—
19— fine Sheets. 4. Doz: Diaper Napkins
11. pair Servants Sheets.
1. Bedstead, bed, Mattress, bolster & curtains
5. Common Chairs & an old Pine Table.
8. Servants table cloths—
1. Mahogany Wardrobe and looking Glass.
6. Old Chairs and a pine Table.
20. fine Pillar Cases.
2. large Copper boilers & brass wash kettle—
1. large screw press for linen—
1. Bedstead and Mattress.
1. Bedstead, bed & coverlid
1. Bedstead, bed & coverlid
Passage Lower Story
1. Large Meat heater— 1. eight day Clock.
a large quantity of copper & tin ware &c
Another Room Ajoining the Kitchen1. Bedstead, bed and coverlid
1. Chair and an old Pine Table.
16. Dishes different sizes— 3. Do. round Pudding
52. Plates—16. Do. for Soup. 30. Do. Dessert.
18. Coffee Cups & Saucers.
18. Tea Cups Do.—2 Small cream Terrines—
2. Sauce bowls. 24. Saucers.
3. Gilt Teapots. 4. blue gilt bowls for preserves.
6. different sizes Glass.
8. dishes for apples.—compote dishes
glass.30. Decanters—9. water bottles. 4. Do. Small
72. Tumblers. 75. Jelly Glasses.
72. Wine Glasses.
13. Oval Crystals for sweet meats
27. Do. Do. Small.
48. wine Glasses.
20. liqueur Glasses.
2. Water Pitchers—
3. Blue China Terrines
34. blue China Dishes
74. blue China Soup plates—
76 flat plates—blue China
78. blue China Dessert Plates.
76 Do. smaller.
18. Do. Custard Cups.
5. Do. Sauce terrines.
6. oval sauce bowls.
4. round Pudding Dishes
9 Chamber Pots.
8. Water Pitchers & Basons.
12. Common Plates.
7. deep Pudding Dishes
42. Common Plates.
30. Do. Smaller.
10. wash Basons.
6. Iron Pots.
1. large kettle for washing Stew pans
31. Stew pans (casseroles) with handles. different sized.
31. Covers Do. Do.
1. large Skillet for preserves.
2. round Casseroles with lids1. Oval Do— .... do.— 1. English fish Kettle Do— 1. French Do— .... Do.
4. Pots (Marmite) different sizes Do—
2. Copper Sheets
2. Do. Deep.
4. Oval Pudding Dishes.
1. Dripping Pan.
2. pair of scales.—
Assortment of moulds for different things of Tin—of Copper.
2. Do. with holes (percé)
2. Tea Kettles.
1. Great boiler—
1. Grid iron for Oysters.
2. Do. for Meat.
2. Dutch Ovens
2. frying Pans.
1. Iron Boiler
3. Spits with their Skewers.
5. Chevrettes—(hand Irons).
1. Coal Shovel.
2. large Tongs
1. Cake Iron.
1. Grate Do.
1. Coffee toaster
1. Coffee Mill—.
1. Roasting stand
1 marble mortar
1. Kitchen Screen
fire Jack—.U.S. Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
DLC: Papers of Thomas Jefferson.